Academics in education relates to the work which mainly involves studying and reasoning rather than practical or technical skills. It describes the work done in schools, colleges, and universities. The success in academics is of as much importance as practical knowledge. Students always find themselves flanked by the set of expectations made by parents and faculty to excel in academics. As their future after graduation is mostly decided by their practical and theoretical excellence in their graduation exams.
Nothing after graduation is out of the blue. According to research, students with higher level of education and good degrees, stand a better chance to get employed and paid a higher salary grade than the ones with a lower level of education.
Scoring good grades in academics is important not only in getting a good job and high pay scale, but also to tackle the technology demanding occupations that the students would need in the future. Thus, students with academic success have more opportunities to choose their future jobs than those with less education.
But, not every student is able to score well in academics and the reasons behind their failure could be one of many. Even after the students have taken enough time to adequately prepare for these examinations, some of them still come out with a poor result.
A study was performed to investigate the factors affecting students’ academic failure and the results showed the following being the reasons:
- Learning environment,
- Socioeconomic factors,
- Family income,
- Parents’ education,
- Teaching methods,
- The gap between materials used to teach and evaluation instruments,
- Factors related to educator, and
- Physical and mental health problems.
These several reasons behind academic failure can be summed up into 3 categories:
1. Internal organizational factors
Internal organizational factors include components like,
- Teaching methods,
- Professional characteristics of educator,
- Proper facilities and types of equipment,
- Evaluation methodology,
- Providing academic writing help to students,
- Providing assignment help online rather in person, and
- Library facilities.
Achievement of quality education requires the collective effort of the student, teacher, school principal, and the government in order to realize desirable quality standards. The school should provide specific facilities and optimum conditions in order to facilitate the efforts of various stakeholders.
An educator is the major contributing factor to students’ academic performance. He is expected to make every effort to expand the knowledge of his subject and improve his teaching technique by imparting relevant knowledge, skills, values, and attitudes to the learner. A teacher’s qualification has a direct impact on the quality of education he/she imparts upon the learners.
The quality of education imparted by teachers is affected due to large classes and a lot of paperwork. A critical shortage of teaching staff can be a stumbling block towards the provision of quality education. This could be reduced by employing more personnel and providing opportunities for teachers’ professional development.
Quality of education is also affected by the time educator denotes with his students. Sometimes, the one-hour period is not enough to cover a topic so the teacher should opt for assignment help online so that the students can clear their doubts easily.
Different types of methods used for evaluation also have a direct impact on students. Since the evaluation processes are limited by a lack of descriptive information on actual evaluation practices in schools and classrooms, they contribute to the academic failure of students.
2. Individual factors
Individual factors include components like,
- Having a goal,
- Regularity to the class,
- Adequate preparation, and
- Mental and physical health conditions of the student.
Going to the class merely for attendance or staying in the library from morning till evening may not mean that the student has been involved in a serious study if he or she fails to apply his or her mind to it. Therefore, the adequate preparation here should be the amount of concentration body, spirit and soul put into the study-hour. In other words, while preparing for exams, a student needs to apply his or her mind to studies which are a function of commitment, seriousness, and concentration.
The student must be regular to the lectures and should not attend the classes with the aim of getting the attendance only. The aim should be of learning new things. Interactive sessions and academic writing help should be encouraged in order to understand different point-of-views and improving their own.
Studying means learning and understanding which should be done with full concentration.
Motivation, interest in the field of study, and self-confidence are also some of the important factors in academic failure. If the student has no or lack of interest in the subject he is studying, he is likely to perform badly.
Planning in advance is another factor that affects the academic performance of students. It means, preparing a time-table and covering the syllabus in advance.
3. External organizational factors
External organizational factors include components like,
- Parents’ education level,
- Parents’ behavior,
- Socioeconomic status of the family, and
- Occupational prospect.
Children belonging to low socioeconomic conditioned families do not have access to a proper study environment in their homes which ultimately have a negative influence on their academic achievement at school. The reason for failure among students belonging to lower-class families is the absence of cultural background.
Educational level of parents and their action has an effect on their children’s academic outcomes. Studies have proved that education level of successful students is higher than the education level of the parents of unsuccessful students. Parents with high education provide their children with the most conducive environment to study which gives them the necessary motivation to proceed to higher education.
Thus, family’s education and income is a strong element in the determination of students’ achievement and the duration for which the child participates in education that is, for the time he or she continue their studies.
Low grades are the result of the poor economic status of the student. However, it can be avoided if he/she adopts a positive behavior and have their basic needs met, and their school fees paid promptly by their parents.
The most important task of an education system is to prepare students to acquire knowledge and cognitive skills to enter the community. Therefore, identifying the factors leading to their academic achievement and hindrance is very important.
What are the Cause of Students Scoring Low Marks in College Assessments?
- As they appear in college level, they think that they have bought all kinds of books and accumulated all notes. So, no need to study now, they can manage it before the beginning of the examination; and lastly they fail to complete the syllabus.
- There are many students who possess good merits. They think that they don’t need to devote a lot of time on studying like other students. due to lack of study time, they fail to attend all questions and get low grades.
- Overconfidence has proved to be a disaster for students. They always feel that they can write anything, but when they face tricky questions, they feel perplexed and as a result they fail to attempt it.
- There are many students who don’t take lessons from their mistakes. It is one of the most important traits if you want to succeed in life. It is applicable in academics too. You need to justify your mistakes for your own benefits.
Reasons Why Students Fail in School?
There are various reasons why students fail in school. Some points are mentioned below.
- Most students don’t know how to prepare effectively for examinations. As a result they don’t get enough scores in examinations.
- For every student, time management plays an important role. Students, who fail to utilize their time properly, never succeed in their academic life. Most students fail to manage their time and as a result, they don’t finish their syllabus within the stipulated time.
- To get good scores, you need to prepare your own notes that must be unique and different from others. Most students don’t give that much effort to it, as a result they don’t get fruitful results in examinations.
- For most students, study is just for reading. They just study to crack the exams. But they don’t study for learning and gathering knowledge regarding that particular matter. They must know the tips and tricks of how to study effectively so that they can finish the syllabus within the deadline.
Due to lack of these qualities most students fail to get good grades in school.
Reasons Why Students Get Low Grades in Academics?
- There are many students who leave the assignments or questions at the last minute just because they are not sure about the answer. As a result, their marks decrease drastically. The reason behind this is their poor studying habits.
- There are many students who give a lot of effort but still they fail to get good grades just because of poor organizations. Every work needs proper organization; it is applicable in case of study too. You should make sure that you are arranging everything in a proper order and don’t create a mess.
- Due to lack of proper preparation most students fail to score high in academics. In academic life how time flies we don’t know. So, you have to make every single minute that you have for preparing your lessons.
These are some of the common reasons why students get low grades in academics.
More attention to curriculum, factors related to educator, improving the self-confidence of the student, and proper learning environment can prevent students’ educational failure, in addition to preventing loss of resources. Further, interactive sessions can be arranged for the students to discover their hidden perceptions about the ‘shortcomings’ in learning the environment of students and the college which will be congenial for mutual growth.
Other steps like,
- Instructions relating to time allocation for completing the course,
- Exposure to advanced coursework,
- Providing assignment help online,
- Quality of lecture,
- Semester and lesson planning system,
- Providing academic writing help, and
- Revision of recapitalization methods.
All these factors could be taken as the areas to be given attention and improvement. By giving adequate regard to these factors, we can contribute to the development of a more effective educational system.