- Secure Payment Guarantee
Critically Analyze the Multiple Pressures on Policy Makers in Texas As They Most Listen to Their Leaders
Critically analyze the multiple pressures on policy makers in Texas as they most listen to their leaders, the governor, the voters (social responsibility) and their own conscience (personal responsibility) in deciding how to cast their vote on a controversial issue.
Assignment: You have recently been elected as a Republican to the Senate from a competitive district (even number of Democrats, Republicans and Independents) just outside of Dallas. One of the first bills that you must vote on is House Bill 3- a Bill to require the death penalty for anyone convicted of selling opioids for a third time. Your constituents support the bill as does the Governor your party, but you oppose it on grounds that the death penalty should be reserved for heinous crimes (pre-meditated murder). The Speaker of the House opposes the bill as well.
In explaining how you will vote on the bill, be sure to explain the following:
- What Representational Role you will adopt (trustee, delegate or politico). (Unit 4 Written Lectures, Slide 4-25)
- How will the Speaker of the House, the Lt. Governor and Governor of Texas influence the fate of the bill? (Unit 4 Written Lectures, Slides 4-9, 4-10, 4-18 & 4-22 )
- How do you think constituents might try to influence your vote? (Unit 4 Written Lectures, Slide 4-20)
- Which factors noted above and in your notes (constituents, governor, party leaders and your own opinion) will influence your vote? Rank them in importance. (Unit 4, Written Lectures, Slide 4-20, 4-21)
- Will you vote for or against the bill? Please explain your answer thoroughly. You should refer back to the representational role here. (Unit 4 Written Lectures, Slide 4-25)